Judo the early years

1988


My kindergarten best friend Augustina and I went to brownies, tumbling, and judo. Why judo? Well because Augustina did it, her dad did it and my dad did it.  I was 5 years old. I dont really think I knew what I was getting into. My parents had sent me to Greece for the summer with my grandmother and after over a month of ice cream, olive oil and bread, they wanted me to get active. 

  Judo at the time was the #2 widely practiced sport in the world behind soccer. Augustina's family was from Argentina, My dad from Greece, but practiced in College in the US. Obviously not as popular in the US as it was in other countries especially in Asia and Europe.


Mr. Forsheys Class at Madie Ives Elementary School
Theo & Taki Caracostas life long friends

I was never the kid who wanted to beat up other kids. In fact my first few weeks of practice, I got thrown around, beat up, and stomped on (metaphorically of course). I think at first I was a bit overwhelmed. But I was not the kid to get discouraged. No, I went home and cried. Then the next day told my parents I wanted to go back. Not only did I want to go back, but I made it my mission to beat the girl who repeatedly threw me my first practice. 



Eventually I did...........
And I challenged my self to compete in both the girls and the boys divisions



And I made more goals.... to beat the next girl (or boy).........




and the next.....


and the next..........

Then I turned my sights to something bigger..... The Olympics, and I made smaller goals, National Champion, Pan American Champion.........I switched clubs to a more competitive club with Sensie Ernie Renolds at Pembroke Pines Dojo, and then to Budokan under the instruction of Sensei Evelio Garcia which ended being my home Dojo for a number of years. 


I became triple crown champion, earning first place at all three junior national championships USJF, USJA, USJI. Our family vacations started centering around my judo events.


I kept challenging myself, fight the girls divisions, fight the boys division, fight up an age division, and fight in the women's division as a young teenager. 


The Three Amigas, Lauren Meece, Tiffany Moticker (my training partners) were setting our sights on the Olympics. 



Comments