In Memory of Those Who have Made the Ultimate Sacrifice




In Memoriam: Helthcare Workers who have died of COVID-19


Lives lost. The initial tallies from China presented by the news to the United States as numbers on a screen. As transmission of COVID-19 spread to other countries, and the US, those numbers became a reality. Each number, a person, a family member, a mom, a dad, a sister, a brother, a child. I was hit hard the first time I learned about healthcare workers in other countries who passed away helping others during the COVID-19 pandemic. Followed by the news of 100 doctors dying of COVID protecting patients and next the first US Emergency Physician died in the US. I faced my own mortality. But mostly, learned to respect COVID-19 and its disease transmission and provess. They say you do not understand the gravity of a situation until it hits close to home. I spent the next 9 out of 12 days in the emergency department, adapting to changing data, changing protocols and caring for sick patients. Halfway through my stretch I developed anosmia (the lack of smell) and ageusia (the lack of taste), known to be indicators of COVID- 19 in infected patients. I mentioned this to my husband who looked at me wide eyed. I was exposed everyday. I took precautions, mask, gloves, face shield, eye protection, I stripped and showered as soon as I got home from work. I brushed it off, as 80% of COVID-19 have mild or are even asymptomatic. Two days later, I developed a cough. Crap..........I called employee health, and they instructed me to head to a testing center.

        


You see these are not just numbers. They are people. They are moms, dads, brothers, sisters, sons daughters, family, and friends. They are the people who are here to protect you. When the healthcare professionals were concerned about PPE, the community banded together to sew masks, and do what they can to donate from their personal supplies. When the experts ask that you social distance, it is to help protect the worlds most precious commodity, LIFE. I am asking that everyone do their part, to protect each other. These lives matter. Our lives matter. My life matters. 


Please click the link below to pay respect to the growing list of names of  healthcare workers who sacrificed their lives and to save your family and friends


Comments